August 20, 2011

Google News


This year I have decided to start my ninth grade computer applications class with an exploration of the news, using Google News. Google News is a computer-generated news site that aggregates headlines from news sources worldwide, groups similar stories together and displays them according to each reader's personalized interests.

When I first introduced this idea to my students I heard little grumbles all around the classroom. I proceeded to tell them that this was "not their mothers news website." They can personalize their pages. I built up the fact that it is their responsibility to personalize the page for their individual preference. ( They love the fact that they are responsible to decide what to read.)

Let's take a look at the Google News Page.

The Google News page has a "Personalize" button at the top right of the page. I gave my students the freedom to set their news preferences.

I also take it a step further and allow the them to use the "add any news topic" box.

I understand Google did not design Google News just for my students; however, my students feel as if they did!

No comments:

Post a Comment