April 29, 2011

Math Caching



My husband and I are geocachers. In a very small nutshell, geocaching is an outdoor activity in which we use our GPS receivers to hide and seek containers called "geocaches" or "caches".

When I stumbled across the Math Caching site I knew it was going to be something exciting. The website Mathbits brings us this challenging game that will have your students applying their math skills without even realizing it.



Sample:
Math Caching is a challenge where you solve mathematical problems to find hidden “boxes” on the Internet. Each box reveals clues to the location of the next one. Levels include: Basic Math, PreAlebra, Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Trig, and PreCalculus. When you are finished, there is a certificate to print. To help students keep track of their work, there are also worksheets that go along with each level.


Basic Math

Pre-Algebra

You can find all levels here.

BIG BONUS: A teacher answer key (including the URL addresses of all of the boxes) is available upon request from a school district email address. roberts@mathbits.com


2 comments:

  1. Very cool! We've actually considered taking our students geocaching as an end-of-the field trip. I'll pass your blog on to our math teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, My kids love geocaching. Let me know if you need any pointers.

    ReplyDelete