April 9, 2011

Flubaroo

I am always amazed when I find something new and exciting while surfing the net. I wonder how it is that I am on the web everyday and have not already seen everything. Today, while reading the posts from my Edmodo friends, Mrs. Lyon introduced me to a gem! I can't wait to tell you about it.

I believe that the forms in google docs has been a great gift to educators. If you have not taken time to explore how to use forms to give assessments in your class you owe it to yourself to stop what you are doing and go investigate. ( If you need help you can always email me at pharesr@gmail.com)

I use google forms routinely to assess my students; however, up until now the grading process has been possible, but messy.

Enter Flubaroo! Flubaroo is a free script that you can use grade the quizzes that you administer through Google Docs. You will find a very simple step-by-step tutorial here.

Sample:
Here is a sample of a spreadsheet of answers after students have taken your quiz.
After running the script, which is an incredibly easy process, you will be presented with this grading option screen.
Then you will asked to provide which submission you would like to use as your key.



It's that simple! Before you can say "WOW" your assessment is graded.

That is worth the price. FREE! However, there is so much more!

Now a new worksheet called "grades" has been produced. The last row shows the percent of students who got each question correct, with overall low-scoring questions highlighted in orange.
Through the flubaroo script add on you can now view a report about your assessment.
If you collected email addresses as one of your questions, you can also email the results, complete with correct answers, directly to the student.

I have three words.....A-MAZ-ING!

I could not find a name to give credit for this amazing script so I contacted the "help" address. Here is the response I received.

"My name is Dave Abouav. I am a part-time night school teacher, and also a Google employee. I developed the idea for Flubaroo based on my own needs as a teacher, with little time for grading. Fortunately, at Google we are allowed to spend up to 20% of our time on side-projects, and so I chose to use my time to develop Flubaroo. You can read about it on the Google App Developer blog here:

Thank you Dave Abouav for this brilliant time saver!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Mrs. Allen.....I think it is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Flubaroo. I just learnt about it at the Google Teachers Academy in Sydney last week. I was looking for a work around for miss-spelt answers...does anyone have one?

    ReplyDelete