February 12, 2011

VozMe


Do you find it as difficult as I do to teach students the benefits of proof reading their writing? I can talk to them until my head falls off and they will still look at me with those sweet little "middle school" eyes and promise me they have proof read. I have found a quick and easy site that will help me prove to them that they need to work on their skills.

Sample
VozMe is a FREE text to speech converter. VozMe will allow you to make text become an audio in a quick and easy interface. You can create .mp3 files in a variety of voices or languages by typing (or copy and paste) text in the box.











I simply have my students copy and paste their text in. When the computer reads to them the mistakes become obvious to them.

If you are fortunate to have your students work on a Mac you can set this feature up through your system preferences "speech" pane.

Do you have other tricks to help your students proof read? Please comment below.

3 comments:

  1. What an AWESOME idea! I'm using it RIGHT away with my 5th grade bloggers! No Macs, but I'll figure it out. I suppose one could also use a Voki or Voice Thread.

    Thanks for the idea! I will investigate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this for a while on my Mac computers. I was excited to find an internet based alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great idea! Love it and will definitely try it next time I have students write texts on a computer.
    Came upon your post by a retweet of your tweet by @MatthiasHeil

    ReplyDelete